We continue our season of LGBTQ history with the Sacred Band of Thebes: a legendary military unit that was entirely made up of HOMOSEXUAL MEN! Let’s journey back to ancient Greece to learn who these men were, how this unit came into being, and what they were able to accomplish.
- 53, et al. “The Sacred Band of Thebes – the Fierce Warriors Who Were Also Lovers.” Means Happy, Gaydar, 19 Jan. 2020, meanshappy.com/lgbtq-heroes-the-sacred-band-of-thebes/.
- Andrews, Stefan. “The ‘Army of Same-Sex Lovers’ That Ruled the Ancient Greek Battlefield.” The Vintage News, The Vintage News, 21 Sept. 2018, http://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/09/21/army-of-lovers/.
- Cartwright, Mark. “Ancient Greek Warfare.” Ancient History Encyclopedia, Ancient History Encyclopedia, 7 July 2020, http://www.ancient.eu/Greek_Warfare/.
- Crompton, Louis. “’An Army of Lovers’ – The Sacred Band of Thebes.” History Today, History Today Ltd., 11 Nov. 1994, http://www.historytoday.com/louis-compton/army-lovers-sacred-band-thebes.
- Hilbert, C. The Sacred Band of Thebes and Other Stuff. CreateSpace, 2012.
- “Homosexuality in Ancient Greece.” Edited by , Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 June 2020, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece.
- “Sacred Band of Thebes.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 3 Apr. 2020, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes.